French Club of the Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors is an unprecedented initiative. Built by the European Commission, it now belongs to the Signatory Mayors. It offers a unique framework at the European level, to get local climate and energy policies in the right direction to the EU objectives that each Member-State has committed to reach by setting up suitable policies.
By their voluntary commitment, the cities help their own States and Europe as a whole, preparing meanwhile their territories to the necessary changes imposed by energy and climate constraints.
The French Club of the Covenant of Mayors was launched in Paris on October 27th 2010.
Objectives of the Club
- Encouraging the French local authorities engaged in the Covenant of Mayors to fulfill their commitments;
- Allow the engaged local authorities to meet and exchange, both on political and practical aspects;
- Getting analysis to emerge, easing feedback on experiences and make proposals at European and national level;
- Encouraging synergies between the processes already existing in France (Plans Climat-Energie - CEAP; Cit’ergie) and the Covenant of Mayors;
- Ensuring a strong French representation and motivating other countries to follow a same process.
The Club is a place of facilitation. The cities ready to be charged with coordinating the Club must enjoy a political balance and their elected representatives must be able to access certain authorities and forums.
Denis Baupin (City of Paris)
Anne Walryck (City of Bordeaux)
Michel Delebarre (Dunkerque Grand Littoral - Urban community of Dunkerque)
Jean-Patrick Masson (City and Urban community of Dijon)
Armel Gourvil (Brest Métropole Océane - Urban community of Brest)
Andrée Buchmann (Urban community of Strasbourg)
Jean-Louis Fousseret (City of Besançon and Grand Besançon - Urban community of Besançon)
The Club gathers around it some of the supporting structures of the Covenant of Mayors (for instance associations of local authorities), organisations created from local authorities, public structures willing to promote the initiative and professional and industrial associations that have an interest in developing local initiatives for energy and climate.
Download the Club description (in French)