Varvarin is a town and municipality located in the Rasina District of central Serbia. Population of the town is 2,133, and population of the municipality is 17,772.
The town is notable as the site of an 1810 battle during the Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812) between the Ottoman Empire and a combined Russian and Serbian army. A statue to the Russian commander Joseph Cornelius O’Rourke and his men was erected in 1910 on the centenary of their victory in the battle, which freed the city from Turkish domination.
View of Varvarin from the river Morava
From 1929 to 1941, Varvarin was part of the Morava Banovina of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
During the Kosovo war and the break-up of Yugoslavia in the late 20th century, the area became engulfed in conflict although distant from the border. On a clear Sunday, 30 May 1999, shortly after 1 p.m., a bridge crossing the Velika Morava river in Varvarin was struck by laser-guided bombs fired by one or two low-flying NATO F-16 warplanes conducting attack operations. The area around the bridge was filled with hundreds of people celebrating an Orthodoxholiday in and around the nearby church, a market place, and a fairground.
No precautions against air attacks had been taken, as the town is far from Kosovo (approximately 200 km), the aged and narrow bridge was considered insignificant, and no military installations were within a radius of 20 km. Ten civilians were killed and 17 severely injured.
Source : Wikipedia
City of Varvarin is a member of Energy Cities since 2015
19 966 Inhabitants