Energy Cities and REScoop.eu have teamed up to produce a joint position paper on the EU’s future solar strategy, based on the direct feedback of their members.
Ahead of the expected adoption of the strategy by the European Commission, here is an overview of the key policy recommendations we have put forward:
- The solar strategy should put a strong emphasis on promoting local ownership of solar PV production
- Ensure full implementation of the Clean Energy Package’s provisions on renewable energy communities
- Establish national and subnational objectives for citizen and community ownership and production of solar
- Access to solar for energy poor, vulnerable and otherwise lower-income households needs to be treated as a priority – not just in side measures
- Objectives for citizen solar should be accompanied by robust urban, spatial and energy planning, supported by national and EU resources.
- The Solar Strategy should lay out a strategic focus on supporting collaboration between local authorities and citizens.